Connect with us

Foreign

G-U-I-L-T-Y… Trump convicts in hush-money trial, faces jail July

Published

on

Trump’s hush-money trial begins

A New York jury has found Donald Trump guilty on all 34 felony counts of falsifying business records — the first time a former U.S. President has been convicted of a crime, NBC News reports.

The verdict was read in the Manhattan courtroom, where Trump had been on trial since April 15.

He had pleaded not guilty to all 34 counts of falsifying business records related to a hush money payment made by his former lawyer Michael Cohen to adult film star Stormy Daniels in the final weeks of the 2016 presidential election.

According to NBC News, Trump looked down with his eyes narrowed as the jury foreperson read the word “guilty” to each count. The jury reached its verdict after 9.5 hours of deliberations, which began Wednesday.

Trump is first former president to be convicted of criminal charges in US history and will be sentenced in July

The historic conviction came as Trump was the presumed Republican nominee for president. The judge thanked the jurors for their service in the weeks-long trial.

“You gave this matter the attention it deserved, and I want to thank you for that,” Judge Juan Merchan told them according to a report by NBC News.

Trump’s attorney Todd Blanche made a motion for acquittal after the jury left the room, which the judge denied.

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass told the jury in his closing arguments earlier this week that “the law is the law and it applies to everyone equally. There is no special standard for this defendant.” “You, the jury, have the ability to hold the defendant accountable,” Steinglass said.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

-New york Times

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

Published

on

UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

The number of foreign workers and students moving to the United Kingdom has plummeted by nearly 30 per cent this year, according to new figures released by the Home Office.

The drop, from 121,000 to 85,200 in the first five months of this year, aligns with both the Conservative and Labour parties’ promises to reduce net migration.

This marks the largest decline since the pandemic, with skilled workers, students, and health and care visa holders comprising the bulk of migration to the UK.

These three groups, along with their dependents, accounted for a total of 1.13 million visas issued last year.

The Telegraph reports that the decline is largely attributed to measures implemented by the government, including restrictions on foreign workers and students bringing dependants, increased salary thresholds for skilled workers, and curbs on the shortage of occupation visa schemes.

According to the data, net migration stands at 685,000 for the year ending December 2023, down from a record high of 764,000 in the previous year.

The Conservative government aims to reduce immigration by 300,000, with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak vowing to “halve” migration and reduce it further each year if re-elected.

Labour’s manifesto also pledges to reduce net migration, although the party has not specified a target or timeline. The party proposes to link training to immigration, requiring sectors applying for foreign worker visas to first train British citizens.

Home Secretary James Cleverly attributed the decline to his actions, stating, “I took action to drive down legal migration.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

“Data released this week show visa applications have dropped 30 per cent amongst key routes. Labour opposed these actions at every opportunity. If you want to reduce migration, vote Conservative on 4th July,” he said in a tweet on his X handle.

The Migration Advisory Committee chairman, Prof Brian Bell, believes the Prime Minister has a “fighting chance” of reducing net migration to pre-pandemic levels by the end of this year.

The figures indicate a significant drop in visa applications across various categories, including a 25.4 per cent overall decrease in visas for foreign workers, students, and their dependants.

The number of dependents brought in by students fell by nearly 80 per cent, while health and care worker visa applications decreased by 75.6 per cent.

This development comes ahead of the July 4 election, with immigration policy playing a crucial role in the campaigns of both major parties.

Source: The Punch

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Biden pledges not to pardon son or reduce his sentence

Published

on

US President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would not pardon his son Hunter or commute any sentence following Hunter’s conviction

US President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would not pardon his son Hunter or commute any sentence following Hunter’s conviction on charges of lying about his drug addiction while buying a handgun.

“No,” Biden replied when reporters at a G7 summit press conference in Italy asked if he would commute any sentence that 54-year-old Hunter faces.

“I’m extremely proud of my son Hunter. He has overcome an addiction, he’s one of the brightest, most decent men I know,” Biden said.

“I said I’d abide by the jury decision. I will do that. I will not pardon him,” he said.

In the historic first criminal prosecution of a sitting US president’s child, a jury on Tuesday found Hunter Biden guilty on three felony counts stemming from his 2018 purchase of a handgun while addicted to crack cocaine.

He could face up to 25 years in prison, though as a first-time offender jail time is unlikely. A date was not set for sentencing but it is expected to take place in the next few months.

Biden said in a statement after the verdict that he loved his sole surviving son — his eldest son Beau died of brain cancer in 2015 — and would respect the jury’s conclusion.

But his comments in Italy on Thursday were his first public statement on the verdict.

The day before his Italy trip, Biden, 81, changed his schedule to fly to Wilmington, Delaware, the family hometown where the trial was held.

Hunter Biden was waiting on the tarmac when Marine One landed and was given a warm hug by his father before they left in a motorcade.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

The verdict came as Biden faces a tough re-election battle against Donald Trump, who himself recently became the first former president to become a convicted felon.

Trump was found guilty by a New York jury of breaching election law by lying about hush money payments to a porn star.

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

U.S. issues 300 new sanctions that go after Russia’s war economy

Published

on

U.S. issues 300 new sanctions that go after Russia’s war economy

The United States said yesterday it was imposing sanctions on more than 300 individuals and entities connected to Russia’s war on Ukraine, including financial institutions, the Moscow Stock Exchange, and Chinese companies.

The announcement came a day before U.S. President Joe Biden joins other Group of Seven (G7) leaders for a summit in the Italian city of Bari, in which the war in Ukraine is set to feature prominently.

The sweeping set of sanctions is chiefly focused on trade, finance, and industry.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the sanctions hit “across multiple sectors essential to Russia’s war effort,” including energy, metals, and mining production.

China was singled out for its support of Moscow.

“The United States remains concerned by the scale and breadth of exports from the People’s Republic of China that supply Russia’s military-industrial base,” Blinken’s statement said.

To that end, the U.S. is sanctioning Chinese companies that provide dual-use goods that “fill critical gaps in Russia’s defence production cycle,” he said.

It is not just China, however. Individuals and organisations in countries elsewhere in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean are also subject to new restrictive measures.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Russia “is deeply isolated from the international financial system, leaving the Kremlin’s military desperate for access to the outside world.”

She said the sanctions go after critical supplies Russia needs from other countries.

Several Russian banks also saw their foreign locations put on blacklists to make it harder for financial transactions to be fulfilled.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

Other corners of Russia’s financial infrastructure were hit, including the Moscow Stock Exchange and two subsidiaries, and insurance and reinsurance providers.

Source: The Nation

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Hezbollah bombs Israel after top commander killed

Published

on

Hezbollah bombs Israel after top commander killed

Hezbollah launched nearly 200 rockets at northern occupied Palestinian territories yesterday, igniting fires in retaliation to the killing of a senior Hezbollah commander in southeastern Lebanon in a strike the previous evening.

The attacks raise concern that the military confrontation between the Israeli regime and Hezbollah is escalating, with both saying they are prepared for war.

Read Also: Ex-Senate president Lawan charges Military to stamp out insecurity across Nigeria
The Israeli military confirmed yesterday it had killed Taleb Abdullah as well as three other Hezbollah fighters in the strike.

It also said at least 90 rockets were fired from Lebanese territory as sirens sounded in dozens of settlements across the north of the occupied territories.

Source: The Nation

 

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers
Continue Reading

Foreign

U.S. push for Gaza ceasefire, peace deal in Israel visit

Published

on

U.S. push for Gaza ceasefire, peace deal in Israel visit

U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken met the Israeli President, Isaac Herzog on Tuesday to negotiate a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The negotiation was part of the efforts by the U.S. Qatar and Egypt on Gaza, the meeting was delayed for months.

Antony Blinken’s trip to the Middle East aimed to garner support for the latest proposal for a ceasefire in three phases.

The UN Security Council clarified the multi-stage plan presented by U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday in New York.

According to the U.S. only the Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement had not agreed to the plan.

However, the government of Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has not given its clear and public approval to the plan either.

Antony Blinken arrived in Egypt on Monday for the first leg of the tour and later held a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem.

According to a statement by the U.S. State Department, Blinken told Netanyahu that “the United States and other world leaders will stand behind the comprehensive proposal outlined by President Biden”.

Blinken in the statement also “updated the prime minister on ongoing diplomatic efforts to plan for the post-conflict period”.

He also met opposition leader Yair Lapid on Tuesday and is due to hold talks with Israeli lawmaker Benny Gantz.

Benny Gantz had just quit the Israeli emergency government formed following the Oct. 7 attacks.

Antony Blinken’s Middle East tour is expected to last until Wednesday and also includes a stop in Qatar.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

Source: Vanguard

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

President Biden’s son convicted, faces 25 years jail over gun case

Published

on

A jury found Hunter Biden guilty on Tuesday of federal gun charges in a historic first criminal prosecution of the child of a sitting

A jury found Hunter Biden guilty on Tuesday of federal gun charges in a historic first criminal prosecution of the child of a sitting US president.

The 54-year-old son of President Joe Biden was convicted on all three of the felony counts stemming from his 2018 purchase of a handgun while addicted to drugs.

The verdict comes as his father is seeking reelection and on a day when the Democratic president is scheduled to give a speech in Washington about gun violence.

The president expressed his “love and support” for his son in a statement released by the White House following the conclusion of the trial held in the Biden hometown of Wilmington, Delaware.

“I am the President, but I am also a Dad,” Biden said. “Jill and I love our son, and we are so proud of the man he is today.”

“So many families who have had loved ones battle addiction understand the feeling of pride seeing someone you love come out the other side and be so strong and resilient in recovery,” he said.

“I will accept the outcome of this case and will continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal,” Biden added.

The 12-member jury deliberated for about three hours over two days before reaching a verdict.

Hunter Biden did not take the stand during the one-week trial. First Lady Jill Biden attended several days.

Hunter Biden could face up to 25 years in prison, although as a first-time offender jail time is unlikely.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

The verdict comes less than two weeks after the conviction on business fraud charges of Donald Trump, Joe Biden’s likely Republican opponent in the November presidential election.

The proceedings, along with another case in which Hunter Biden faces tax evasion charges in California, have complicated Democrats’ efforts to keep the election focus on Trump, the first former president ever to be convicted of a crime.

Drug addiction
In addition to being a political distraction, Hunter Biden’s legal woes have reopened painful emotional wounds for the family from his time as a drug addict.

His brother Beau died from cancer in 2015, and his sister Naomi died as an infant in a 1972 car crash that also killed their mother, Neilia, Joe Biden’s first wife.

The Yale-trained lawyer and lobbyist-turned-artist was charged with falsely stating when buying a .38 caliber revolver in 2018 that he was not using drugs illegally.

He was also charged with illegal possession of the firearm, which he had for just 11 days in October of that year.

The president’s son, who has written unsparingly about his addiction, claimed that at the time he bought the revolver he did not consider himself to be an addict.

He has long been the target of hard-right Republicans, and Trump allies have investigated him at length in Congress on allegations of corruption and influence-peddling. No charges have ever been brought.

Hunter Biden’s business dealings in China and Ukraine have also formed the basis for attempts by Republican lawmakers to initiate impeachment proceedings against his father. Those efforts too have gone nowhere.

READ ALSO  UK records sharp decline in migration of students, foreign workers

The White House has said there would be no presidential pardon for Hunter Biden.

AFP

 

Continue Reading

Top Stories