Connect with us

Sports

Paul Pogba banned from football for four years

Published

on

French midfielder Paul Pogba has been banned from football for four years for a doping offence.

The Juventus player was provisionally suspended in September after a drugs test found elevated levels of testosterone in his system.

The former Manchester United player, Pogba, 30, was randomly tested after Juventus’ first match of the season on 20 August.

The PAPERS understands that Pogba will appeal against Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal’s (Nado) decision.

The failed drugs test was confirmed by Nado in a second sample in October, and the anti-doping prosecutor’s office had requested a four-year suspension.

A Juventus spokesperson told the AFP news agency: “We received notification from the tribunal this morning.”

The ruling means Pogba will be unable to play until 2027, when he will be 33, with the ban backdated to the date of the failed test.

It is understood Pogba believes that if he did take a banned substance, he did so inadvertently.

Speaking at the time of the initial suspension, Pogba’s agent, Rafaela Pimenta, said: “What is certain is that Paul Pogba never wanted to break a rule.”

Testosterone is a hormone that increases the endurance of athletes.

Nado said Pogba had violated rules when prohibited non-endogenous testosterone metabolites – substances not naturally produced by the body from testosterone – were found in the test, and the results were “consistent with the exogenous [external] origin of the target compounds”.

Juventus re-signed Pogba on a four-year deal in July 2022 after the player ran down his contract at Manchester United and left as a free agent.

READ ALSO  Ballon d’Or: Nobody likes him – Leboeuf names player that should win award

Pogba’s return to Turin has been beset by persistent injury problems which also saw him miss last year’s World Cup in Qatar.

Pogba has played a total of 51 minutes as a substitute this season in games with Bologna and Empoli.

Last season he played 108 minutes over six Serie A games, made three appearances and one assist in the Europa League, and managed 11 minutes in the Coppa Italia – a total of 162 minutes and no goals.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Paris 2024: Wakama unveils D’Tigress final roster

Published

on

Paris 2024: Wakama unveils D’Tigress final roster

D’Tigress head coach, Rena Wakama has released her final 12-player roster for the 2024 Olympic Games.

Four players were dropped from the initial 16 that made it to Germany for a training tour.

The 12 players include team captain Amy Okonkwo, Elizabeth Balogun, Nicole Enabosi, Promise Amukamara, Murjanatu Musa, and Ifunaya Okoro.

Others are Pallas Kunayi, Blessing Ejiofor, Ezinne Kalu, Olaoluwatomi Taiwo, Lauren Ebo, and Adebola Adeyeye.

The four players who did not make the final 12 are Solape Amusan, Rita Igbokwe, Christeen Iwuala, and Lucy Ibeh.

D’Tigress are drawn in Group A with host nation France, Australia and Canada.

Source: Daily Post

READ ALSO  PSG suspend Victor Osimhen's deal, set to back out
Continue Reading

Sports

EPL: De Bruyne ‘isn’t leaving’ Man City – Guardiola

Published

on

EPL: De Bruyne ‘isn’t leaving’ Man City – Guardiola

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said influential midfielder Kevin de Bruyne will stay at the club.

De Bruyne has been heavily linked with a summer move to Saudi Arabia.

He has one-year left on his Blues contract and said last month he would have to consider an offer from the Saudi Pro-League because of the “incredible money” available.

However, Guardiola is unconcerned.

“Kevin isn’t leaving,” he told reporters before his side’s opening pre-season game against Celtic in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, on Wednesday (00:30 BST).

De Bruyne helped inspire City to the Premier League title last season, the club’s fourth in a row and his sixth in total at the club.

Crystal Palace’s England Euro 2024 squad member Eberechi Eze has been linked with a move to City, while Brazil goalkeeper Ederson has also been the subject of interest from Saudi Arabia.

But Guardiola feels it is more likely he will have the same squad as last season.

“If someone leaves, we are going to talk about that and, of course, until the last day [of the transfer window] we have chances,” he said.

“I don’t rule out new players as an option, but I think there is an 85, 90, 95% chance we will have the same squad.”

City begin their Premier League title defence at Chelsea on 18 August

Source: The Nation

READ ALSO  Ballon d’Or: Nobody likes him – Leboeuf names player that should win award
Continue Reading

Sports

Maresca to offload six Chelsea players before new season

Published

on

Maresca to offload six Chelsea players before new season

New Chelsea manager, Enzo Maresca, has left six players out of his US pre-season tour, amid uncertainty over their futures, according to the Daily Mail.

Discounting the five players that had their international breaks extended and the injured Djordje Petrovic, at least 43 other players have been left out of the squad for varying reasons.

But the omissions of Romelu Lukaku, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Trevoh Chalobah, Cesare Casadei, David Datro Fofana and Malang Sarr will continue to fuel the speculation that they could leave Stamford Bridge permanently this summer.

Maresca travelled with 28 players, ahead of the Blues’ first game against Wrexham in California on Wednesday.

Chelsea will then play Celtic, Club America, Manchester City, before concluding the tour against Real Madrid on August 7.

Source: Daily Post

READ ALSO  Paris 2024: Wakama unveils D’Tigress final roster
Continue Reading

Sports

9 months after his second child birth, Neymar welcomes 3rd

Published

on

Brazilian star Neymar has announced the birth of his third child, with model Amanda Kimberlly, less than nine months after

Brazilian star Neymar has announced the birth of his third child, with model Amanda Kimberlly, less than nine months after the arrival of his second.

The 32-year-old, who is now contracted to Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal, has revealed on Instagram that he his the proud father of two girls. The latest of those was welcomed into the world on July 3, with Neymar sharing images of baby Helena.

The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain forward was joined at the hospital by his 12-year-old son Davi Lucca, who he had with ex-partner Carolina Dantas. Neymar also had a little girl, named Mavie, with Bruna Biancardi in October 2023 – with their relationship confirmed as being over a matter of weeks later.

Brazilian model and influencer Kimberlly has now made Neymar a father for the third time. She has also posted images on social media, alongside the message: “My favourite month, July. A special thank you to my doctor who went beyond the professional side, welcomed me and gave me a lot of strength during these 9 months. And my support network, thank you for EVERYTHING!”

Having had plenty to celebrate off the pitch of late, Neymar will be hoping to do similar on the field over the coming months. He has worked his way back from a serious knee ligament injury and will be ready to make his mark for Al-Hilal in 2024-25 having been restricted to just five appearances for them so far.

READ ALSO  9 months after his second child birth, Neymar welcomes 3rd

 

Continue Reading

Sports

PSG suspend Victor Osimhen’s deal, set to back out

Published

on

Negotiations between Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli regarding Victor Osimhen are at a standstill after the French champions initially

Negotiations between Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli regarding Victor Osimhen are at a standstill after the French champions initially expressed interest in signing the Nigerian marksman.

Osimhen experienced a sub-par campaign last season, failing to perform as expected, as Inter overtook Napoli’s Scudetto crown.

Confirming the deadlock in a post on his X handle, football transfer expert Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Paris Saint-Germain won’t pay the clause and talks are in stand-by at current conditions, no chance to include Kang-in Lee.

“Osimhen could also consider Saudi League bids, as Napoli want Lukaku to replace him.”

The Partenopei’s disastrous 2023/24 season contributed to the fall in the number of suitors vying for Osimhen’s signature, but PSG remained interested in his services.

However, even the Parisians are now gradually backing off, with the striker’s current release clause standing at €130m.

Three PSG players, Carlos Soler, Nordi Mukiele and Lee Kang-in were reportedly put on the table in a player-plus-cash deal. But PSG have now taken a step back.

It is understood that PSG are the only interested club at the moment but will not go ahead under the current circumstances despite losing star man Kylian Mbappe to Real Madrid.

Aurelio De Laurentiis and company, however know the significance of cashing in on Osimhen with two more years left on his Napoli contract.

The former Lille and Wolfsburg center-forward last signed an extension in the winter of 2023.

 

READ ALSO  Paris 2024: Wakama unveils D’Tigress final roster
Continue Reading

Sports

Ballon d’Or: Nobody likes him – Leboeuf names player that should win award

Published

on

Ballon d’Or: Nobody likes him – Leboeuf names player that should win award

Former Chelsea defender, Frank Leboeuf has insisted that Real Madrid right-back Dani Carvajal should win the 2024 Ballon d’Or.

Leboeuf feels Carvajal should win the Ballon d’Or ahead of Jude Bellingham, Vinicius Jr., and Rodri because he won every trophies this year.

According to him, nobody likes the Spain defender because he doesn’t have many goals.

The 2024 Ballon d’Or will be awarded in October.

Speaking on ESPNFC, Leboeuf said:

“Carvajal, he’s won everything. So we have to call it the forward Ballon d’Or [if Bellingham or Vinicius wins it]. Vini won the Champions League, won the league, but was not really good in Copa America. Bellingham wasn’t good at the Euros.

“And then you have two guys, Rodri didn’t win the Champions League but he has been absolutely outstanding and the best player in the Euros, won the Premier League.

“Then you have Carvajal, nobody likes him because he doesn’t have [many goals].

“He is like our times’ right-back, dirty, tricky or whatever but the guy won everything.

“So you can tell me what it is, whether it’s the Ballon d’Or of some people or the Ballon d’Or for all footballers. If that’s the case [Carvajal should win].”

Source: Daily Post

READ ALSO  Paris 2024: Wakama unveils D’Tigress final roster
Continue Reading

Top Stories