Connect with us

News

Low turnout of passengers in Ibadan motor parks

Published

on

Low turnout of passengers in Ibadan motor parks

Some major motor parks in Ibadan on Friday experienced a low turnout of passengers contrary to the expected Easter holiday rush.

A visit by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) to motor parks at Iwo Road and Ojoo Bus Terminals revealed there was no surge in inter-state commuting.

According to the chairman, Saki Motor Park, Mr Michael Adelokun, the number of buses moving from the park to their different destinations was a far cry from the expected number.

He said it was obvious passengers were no longer travelling in their numbers, unlike what they used to.

“People have not been coming out due to a lack of money, although we have not increased the cost of transportation. A bus to Saki costs N3,000, while a car goes for N3,500.

“These have been the costs for a long time now, despite the unfriendly economy,” he said.

He noted that the cost of petrol, with car maintenance was becoming burdensome on their earnings from the business.

Adelokun said the cost of engine oil had jumped from about N3,500 and N4,000 to N16,000.

“Same for the cost of tyres, which had increased from between N28,000 and N30,000 to N65,000.

“Due to the general low purchasing power of Nigerians, it is difficult to increase transport fares in the midst of skyrocketing prices of goods and services,” he said.

Also, the Secretary, Park Management System, Iwo Road Motor Park, Mr Isahu Salawu, said people stayed back in their homes because they needed to manage their spending.

READ ALSO  Senate passes ₦70,000 national minimum wage bill

The lack of financial strength, he said, had impacted their business negatively, making festive periods look ordinary at the parks.

Salawu decried the high cost of petrol and other overheads incurred in the transportation system, adding that despite all, fares did not increase.

“We have just left the transportation fare as it is so as not to add to the burden of passengers as we are all struggling in this economy,” he said.

A passenger, Mr. Tafa Alaba, however, said the fare to Iseyin had increased from between N1,300 and N1,500 to N1,700.

Despite the slight increase, which he said was bearable, he concluded that not many people still thought it wise to travel as they used to.

A passenger heading to Lagos for the Easter holiday, Miss Tobiloba Samuel, said the fare of N2,500 for buses and N3,600 for cars rose to N3,600 and N4,100, respectively.

NAN observed that the usual hustling and bustling characterising festive periods in motor parks were missing.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Reps pass resolution on arrest of WAEC officials over misappropriation of funds

Published

on

Reps pass resolution on arrest of WAEC officials over alleged misappropriation of funds

The House of Representatives on Tuesday passed a resolution for the detention of top officials of West African Examination Council (WAEC) for failing to account for the funds appropriated to the organisation.

The resolution was pass d during an investigative hearing carried out by the House Committee on Basic Examination Bodies, chaired by Hon. Oforji Oboku.

The officials are: Amos Josiah Dangut, Head of National Office, WAEC Nigeria, who represented the Registrar; Angus Okeleze, Senior Deputy Registrar; Victor Odu, Acting Director of Finance; Segun Jerumeh, Deputy Director of Finance.

The motion for the arrest of the four WAEC officers was sequel to the adoption of a motion sponsored by Hon. Uchenna Okonkwo, during an investigative hearing, after the officials failed to answer their questions to their satisfaction.

The lawmakers during the hearing were in heated arguments with the WAEC officials whether the examination body was accountable to Parliament or not.

Dangut had earlier in his presentation to the Committee argued that WAEC was not an agency of government, hence not accountable as other agencies.

But the lawmakers insisted that WAEC Nigeria was a creation of an Act of the National Assembly, hence must account for all their activities to them.

The lawmakers also pointed out that WAEC’s convention dictates that they must submit to the legislation of any of its member countries.

Following the arguments, Hon. Okonkwo said: “I will like to move a motion that while pending the investigation to look into the activities of WAEC Nigeria, the invited Guests before should be taken into custody and held at the Police Post while we seek for solutions for these issues they are bringing upon Nigerians.”

READ ALSO  Reps pass resolution on arrest of WAEC officials over misappropriation of funds

Meanwhile, there was mild drama at the venue of the investigative hearing as one of the WAEC officials kept shouting at the lawmakers that it was being unfair to them.

Thereafter the WAEC officials were taken away by members of the Sergeant at Arms of the National Assembly where they were detained in one of the member’s office for about 15 minutes.

However, after a brief closed door session, the Committee resolved to allow them go and come back at a later date with relevant documents demanded of them.

In his intervention, Oboku who presided over the session, directed the WAEC management to bring the audited statement of accounts of the examinations body from 2018 till date.

He also directed that the delegation to present relevant documents in respect to a N5 billion loan that the Organisation secured in 2022 to buy a customised calculator among others.

The Chairman said WAEC cannot operate outside the supervision of the National Assembly.

He insisted the WAEC officials bring the requested documents, else there would be sanctions.

Source: Authorrity Nigeria

Continue Reading

News

EFCC’s failure to file processes stalls Kwankwaso’s rights enforcement suit

Published

on

Military capable of ending security challenges, says Kwankwaso

The inability of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to file processes before a Kano High Court on Tuesday stalled hearing in a fundamental rights suit filed by the 2023 presidential candidate of the New Nigeria People’s Party, NNPP, Rabiu Kwankwaso and seven others.

The other applicants are the NNPP, Dr Ajuji Ahmed, Dipo Olayanku, Ahmed Balewa, Chief Clement Anele, Folashade Aliu, and Buba Galadima.

When the matter came up for hearing,
Counsel to the EFCC , Mr Idris Ibrahim-Haruna, told the court he was not ready and sought for an adjournment to enable him file responses.

“My lord service was effected in Abuja. We are very sorry for the inconveniences and seek for another date to enable us file our responses.”

Responding, Counsel to the applicants, Mr Robert Hon, told the court that he was ready to proceed with the hearing.

He urged the court to dismiss the application by the EFCC counsel seeking for an adjournment for not giving the court a genuine reason for not filing their responses.

“My lord we served the respondent with all the court processes on June 10, and by the rules of this court they have five days to file their responses.”

He urged the court to adjourn the case for definite hearing.
Justice Yusuf Ubale, ordered the EFCC counsel to file his responses and adjourned the matter until October 24, for definite hearing.

The court had on June 10, granted an Interim order stopping the EFCC from arresting Kwankwaso and the seven responders.

READ ALSO  Amnesty International warns Tinubu’s govt against threatening protesters

 

Continue Reading

News

Shelve planned protest -Tinubu begs Nigerians

Published

on

Don’t devalue naira after implementing new national minimum wage – Workers tell Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians to shelve planned protests against bad governance in the country, slated for next month.

The appeal was made known by Information Minister Mohammed Idris, who briefed State House correspondents after a meeting with the President on Tuesday.

Idris said Tinubu urged the organisers of the protest to shelve the plan and await the President’s response to their complaints.

“The issue of the planned protest, Mr President does not see any need for that. He’s asked them to shelve that plan. He’s asked them to await the government’s response to all their pleas,” the minister said.

The protest against economic hardship, which is gaining traction on social media, has been scheduled to hold across all states of the Federation as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, starting from August 1.

DAILY POST reports that the prices of food and basic commodities have gone through the roof in the last months.

Many Nigerians currently are battling one of the country’s worst inflation and economic crisis sparked by the government’s twin policies of petrol subsidy removal and unification of forex windows.

Source: Daily Post

READ ALSO  Amnesty International warns Tinubu’s govt against threatening protesters
Continue Reading

News

Amnesty International warns Tinubu’s govt against threatening protesters

Published

on

Presidency: Obi’s supporters behind planned protests

Global human rights movement, Amnesty International has berated the Bola Tinubu-led government for threatening protesters.

AI was reacting to comments made by Tinubu’s media aide, Dada Olusegun, who said those planning the nationwide protests in the country will “meet the strongest resistance of your lives.”

In a post on X, the organisation stated:

”Threatening peaceful protesters is unlawful. It is a clear attack on freedom of assembly — which is guaranteed by international law and Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution:

”Nigerians must not be denied the constitutionally and internationally guaranteed right to peaceful protest; through veiled threats of violence and false insinuations.”

Source: Naija news

READ ALSO  Reps pass resolution on arrest of WAEC officials over misappropriation of funds
Continue Reading

News

Senate passes ₦70,000 national minimum wage bill

Published

on

The Senate on Tuesday speedily passed the National Minimum Wage Act 2019 (Amendment Bill). The bill, which scaled first, second

The Senate on Tuesday speedily passed the National Minimum Wage Act 2019 (Amendment Bill).

The bill, which scaled first, second and third readings, just minutes after it was transmitted by President Bola Tinubu, was instantly passed by the upper chamber.

In a unanimous vote after a clause consideration in the Committee of the Whole, the National Minimum Wage Bill scaled third reading and was passed.

Earlier on Tuesday, the President transmitted the National Minimum Wage Bill to the National Assembly for consideration and passage.

The President separately wrote the Senate and the House of Representatives requesting expedited consideration of a bill for an Act to amend the National Minimum Wage Act, 2019 to increase the National Minimum Wage from ₦30,000 to ₦70,000.

The President also asked the lawmakers to reduce the time for periodic review of the national minimum wage from five years to three years and related matters.

Last Thursday, Tinubu and the leadership of the Organised Labour agreed on ₦70,000 as the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers.

The truce between the government and labour sides followed a series of talks between labour leaders and the President in the last few weeks after months of failed talks between labour organs and a tripartite committee on minimum wage constituted by the President in January.

The committee, which comprised state and federal governments and the Organised Private Sector, had proposed ₦62,000 while labour insisted on ₦250,000 as the new minimum wage for workers who currently earn ₦30,000 as minimum wage.

READ ALSO  Senate passes ₦70,000 national minimum wage bill

Labour had said ₦30,000 was unsustainable for any worker going by the economic vagaries of inflation and high cost of living which followed the removal of petrol subsidy by the President.

Despite its initial insistence on ₦250,000 as the new minimum wage, Labour accepted the President’s offer of ₦70,000 last Thursday.

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Joe Ajaero, said Labour accepted ₦70,000 and rejected a proposal by President Bola Tinubu to pay ₦250,000 minimum wage on a condition to increase petrol prices.

He also said Labour agreed to the ₦70,000 offer because minimum wage won’t be reviewed once in five years anymore but once every three years.

The transmission of the wage bill came about six weeks after the President said in his Democracy Day speech on June 12, 2024, that an executive bill on the new national minimum wage for workers would be sent to the National Assembly for passage.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Robbers rape two female students of Tai Solarin University

Published

on

Armed robbers have raped two female students of the Ogun State-owned Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu Ode.

Armed robbers have raped two female students of the Ogun State-owned Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu Ode.

It was gathered that the two first-year female students of the institution were raped by robbers on Monday.

The incident reportedly occurred around 12:30 am when the robbers invaded students’ apartments.

A source at the school disclosed that the suspects, armed with guns, forced the students to surrender their phones and other belongings before leading them to an uncompleted building where they took turns to rape them.

Police spokesperson in the state Omolola Odutola confirmed the incident in Abeokuta, the state capital.

“The incident was reported at the Igbeba Police Division at about 10 am. Our operatives immediately combed the area in search of the suspects. Efforts are in top gear to arrest everyone involved in the crime.

“In the meantime, the survivors have been taken to the school clinic for treatment,” she said.

-Channelstv

 

READ ALSO  Senate passes ₦70,000 national minimum wage bill
Continue Reading

Top Stories