Connect with us

Foreign

UK is not racist country, says Sunak

Published

on

Rishi Sunak

Prime minister Rishi Sunak has declared he is “living proof” that Britain is not a racist country as he sought to douse the Islamophobia row, The Times reports.

He warned that all politicians had an obligation to be “careful” and not “unnecessarily inflame” tensions after the former deputy Tory chairman, Lee Anderson, was accused of stoking anti-Muslim hate.

He denied that Conservatives have Islamophobic tendencies.

Sunak said his priority is to “try and take the heat out of this situation and that’s what everyone wants to see,” the daily added.

Sunak made his comments after Anderson again refused to apologise for claiming that Islamists had “got control” of the London mayor Sadiq Khan.

While the party withdrew the whip for Anderson, the move has divided Tory MPs with some claiming that the suspension will upset party supporters.

Grassroots Conservative supporters have called Rishi Sunak a “snake” over Lee Anderson’s suspension and wanted it revoked, The Guardian reports.

In leaked WhatsApp messages, members of the Conservative Democratic Organisation (CDO), which was founded by disgruntled Tories after Boris Johnson and then Liz Truss were ousted, attacked the prime minister for kicking Anderson out of the parliamentary party, the daily added.

On Monday night the former home secretary Suella Braverman described the reaction to Anderson’s comments as “hysteria”.

She said the focus should be on how to tackle Islamist extremism in the UK, The Times reports.

Right-wing party Reform UK said Anderson’s sentiments were “supported by millions of British citizens” and suggested he would be welcome to their party if he wishes.

READ ALSO  Pakistan government seeks to ban former premier Imran Khan's PTI party

 

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. My brother suggested I might like this blog He was totally right This post actually made my day You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info Thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

King Charles writes to Donald Trump after assassination attempt

Published

on

King Charles writes to Donald Trump after assassination attempt

Britain’s King Charles III has written to US presidential candidate Donald Trump after an assassination attempt on the former president during an election rally in the United States, Buckingham Palace said on Monday.

The 78-year-old Republican nominee for the November presidential race was addressing supporters in Butler, Pennsylvania, on Sunday when he was shot at by a gunman.

The British monarch’s letter, the contents of which have not been disclosed by the palace, was delivered soon after by the UK Embassy in Washington DC.

In 2019, then as Prince of Wales, the royal hosted then President Trump and his wife Melania for afternoon tea at his Clarence House residence during a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) summit in London.

His mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, hosted a state banquet for Trump during his State Visit to the UK earlier that year.

The news of the King’s letter came as Buckingham Palace announced that the 75-year-old monarch, who was undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer, will undertake two royal visits in October. After Australia, he and his wife Queen Camilla will visit Samoa to attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2024.

The King and Queen will visit Australia at the invitation of the Australian government, where their programme will feature engagements in the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales. Their Majesties’ State Visit to Samoa will celebrate the strong bilateral relationship between the Pacific Island nation and the UK, Buckingham Palace said.

READ ALSO  King Charles writes to Donald Trump after assassination attempt

Meanwhile, world leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi have been condemning the assassination attempt on Trump, following which the suspected shooter Thomas Matthew Crooks was shot dead at the scene by Secret Service personnel.

Corey Comperatore, a 50-year-old volunteer fire chief, is said to have died at the rally as he attempted to protect his family members when the shots were fired. Two other people shot are in a stable condition, according to local Pennsylvania police.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to Trump in the immediate aftermath and, according to Downing Street, condemned the violence, expressed his condolences for the victims and their families, and wished the President and those injured a quick recovery.

I am appalled by the shocking scenes at President Trump’s rally and we send him and his family our best wishes. Political violence in any form has no place in our societies and my thoughts are with all the victims of this attack, Starmer said in a post on X.

Trump, who raised his fist to the crowd while bleeding after the shooting, told ‘The New York Post’ he was “supposed to be dead” and described the assassination attempt as a “surreal experience”.

Source: TheWeek.in

Continue Reading

Foreign

Pakistan government seeks to ban former premier Imran Khan’s PTI party

Published

on

Pakistan government seeks to ban former premier Imran Khan's PTI party

Pakistan’s government seeks to ban the party of jailed ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan, the information minister said, a move likely to further deepen an ongoing political crisis in the South Asian country.

Addressing a news conference in the capital Islamabad, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said on Monday that the government will approach the Supreme Court after approval from the Cabinet, which is a legal requirement to ban a political party.

“Pakistan and the PTI (Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf) cannot progress together. And a series of recent events have proved this,” Tarar said.

“That’s why, the government is going to ban the PTI,” he said, adding that the process will be initiated in the next few days.

He cited PTI’s alleged involvement in attacks on military installations in May last year after Khan’s brief arrest in a corruption case.

Imran Khan, 72, who was ousted through a no-trust vote in April 2021, is currently in a jail in the northeastern garrison city of Rawalpindi along with his wife for his alleged involvement in multiple corruption and violence-related cases.

The cricketer-turned-politician has been acquitted in two of three cases he was convicted in, whereas his third conviction remains suspended.

The information minister said the government would also submit a review petition before the Supreme Court against its verdict last week, which declared the PTI is eligible for reserved seats for women and minorities.​​​​​

The party-backed candidates had won the most seats in the February 8 polls.​

READ ALSO  I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump
Continue Reading

Foreign

Russia and China Send Multiple Warships to Contested South China Sea

Published

on

Russia and China Send Multiple Warships to Contested South China Sea

The quasi-alliance of China and Russia is holding joint naval activities in the South China Sea, China’s navy announced. On Monday, the Chinese navy reported details about its fourth joint patrol with the Russian navy since 2021 in a post on a social platform. It said the joint naval formation had entered the South China Sea via the Balintang Channel the previous day.

The formation began the patrol in waters around South Korea’s Jeju Island in the East China Sea earlier, the report said. It then transited the Osumi Strait near Japan eastward before heading southward to the South China Sea. The U.S. Navy regularly holds joint exercises and patrols with its allied navies in the South China Sea. But it is rare for China to do the same, as it views the contested waters as its “backyard.”

The Balintang Channel is located in the Luzon Strait, a strategic choke point that lies between Taiwan to the north, the Philippines to the south, the South China Sea to the west and the Philippine Sea to the east. Both the Philippines and Taiwan are allies of the United States in the Indo-Pacific region. Taiwan is a self-ruled island claimed by Beijing as a breakaway province. The Philippines has territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea.

China deployed the Type 052D destroyer Yinchuan, Type 054A frigate Hengshui and Type 903 replenishment ship Weishanhu for the joint patrol, while Russia sent the Steregushchiy-class corvette Sovershennyy, the report said. The joint patrol deepened the mutual understanding and traditional friendship between the Chinese and Russian militaries, the Chinese navy said. It added that the two sides enhanced their abilities to jointly respond to maritime security threats. In a statement released on Sunday, China’s Defense Ministry said the joint patrol in the western and northern Pacific Ocean did not target a third party and “had nothing to do with the current international and regional situation.”

READ ALSO  King Charles writes to Donald Trump after assassination attempt

It is not immediately clear whether the joint patrol has concluded. Newsweek contacted the Chinese and Russian defense ministries for comment by email.

On Sunday, the Chinese and Russian navies commenced “Exercise Joint Sea-2024” in Zhanjiang, a Chinese city located in the southern province of Guangdong that faces the South China Sea. The exercise series began in 2012. The Chinese navy said the two navies have continued to improve their capability to conduct joint military operations. The Russian navy said the joint exercise could contribute to maintaining maritime and regional security. Warships from the two sides are set to conduct anchorage defense, joint reconnaissance and early warning, joint search and rescue, and joint air defense and antimissile exercises, the Chinese navy said. Training with the use of weapons is included. A total of seven ships are participating in the exercise, Chinese state media reported. The Global Times said four were from the Chinese side: the Type 052D destroyer Nanning, Type 054A frigates Xianning and Dali, and Weishanhu. The Russian side dispatched Steregushchiy-class corvettes Gromkiy and Rezkiy and the oiler Irkut, the outlet said. The exercise is scheduled to run until mid-July.

The Global Times said on Sunday that the joint naval activities between China and Russia were routine and showed a wide scope of naval cooperation, quoting military experts in the country. There are currently no U.S. Navy aircraft carriers deployed in the South China Sea, as they are on missions in other regions or undergoing maintenance. Photos released by the U.S. Department of Defense showed USS America, an America-class amphibious assault ship that can perform as a light aircraft carrier, conducting flight operations with the stealthy F-35B fighter jets while underway in the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

READ ALSO  I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump

Source: Miamiherald.com

Continue Reading

Foreign

I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump

Published

on

I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump

Former U.S. president Donald Trump says it was either “by luck or by God’’ that he survived Saturday’s assassination attempt.

Trump survived an assassination attempt on his life on Saturday, and said in a joint interview that “I’m supposed to be dead”.

“By luck or by God, many people are saying it’s by God I’m still here.

“I’m not supposed to be here. I’m supposed to be dead,’’ Trump added, according to the tabloid New York Post.

Trump was quoted in the Washington Examiner as saying the fact that he turned to point at a poster about immigration likely saved his life.

“That reality is just setting in,” he said in the joint interview with the newspapers.

“I rarely look away from the crowd. Had I not done that in that moment, well, we will not be talking today, would we?”

“The doctor at the hospital said he never saw anything like this. He called it a miracle,” Trump said, according to the Post.

Source: The Nation

READ ALSO  I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump
Continue Reading

Foreign

‘I will keep NATO strong,’ says Biden

Published

on

Nobody ‘More Qualified’ To Win Election Than Me, Says Joe Biden

U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday closed a three-day NATO summit in Washington by promising to “keep NATO strong,” in a press conference that focused heavily on U.S. politics and concerns about his mental fitness.

The 81-year-old U.S. leader is facing calls to let another candidate from his Democratic Party replace him in this year’s presidential race due to fears that he is suffering a mental decline.

The opposing Republican Party is expected to nominate former president Donald Trump, 78, at its convention, which begins on Monday in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“My predecessor has made it clear he has no commitment to NATO,” Biden said.

“He’s made it clear that he would feel no obligation to honour Article 5″ of the NATO treaty, which commits all allies to respond if one is attacked.

“But I made it clear a strong NATO is essential to American security. And I believe the obligation of Article 5 is sacred,” Biden contrasted.

“I will not bow down to Putin. I will not walk away from Ukraine. I will keep NATO strong,” the U.S. leader continued.

Biden’s speech followed a three-day summit in which NATO leaders announced further military support for Ukraine’s efforts to repel the Russian invasion, including air-defence systems and a pledge to spend 40 billion euro (or 43 billion dollars) in the next year.

They also declared Ukraine’s future path to NATO membership “irreversible.”

The United States and Germany also announced on Wednesday that the former would station long-range cruise missiles in “episodic deployments” in Germany to strengthen NATO’s deterrence in Europe.

READ ALSO  I survived assassination attempt by luck or by God — Trump

But Biden’s closing press conference was dominated by the forthcoming presidential election in his country, and whether he should persist in running for re-election.

When asked whether he’d still be able to “deal with” Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping three years from now, Biden said he would not talk to Putin until the Russian leader changed course.

“I’m dealing with Xi right now and (I’m in) direct contact with him.

“I have no good reason to talk to Putin right now. There’s not much that he is prepared to do in terms of accommodating any change in his behaviour.

“I’m not ready to talk to Putin unless Putin’s ready to change his behaviour,” he said.

Source: The Nation

Continue Reading

Foreign

Trump’s ‘going to solve’ Russia-Ukraine war, says Orbán

Published

on

Trump’s ‘going to solve’ Russia-Ukraine war, says Orbán

Former U.S. President Donald Trump is “going to solve” Russia’s war in Ukraine, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said Friday morning.

“It was an honor to visit President Trump today. We discussed ways to make peace. The good news of the day: he’s going to solve it!” Orbán said after a meeting with Trump at the 2024 Republican candidate’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

Trump agreed with Orbán. “There must be peace, and quickly. Too many people have died in a war that should have never started!” he said in a post on his platform Truth Social.

The Hungarian leader’s self-declared Ukraine peace crusade has now taken hi to Kyiv, Moscow, Beijing and Palm Beach and included meetings with Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Chinese ruler Xi Jinping and now Trump.

But Ukraine has not asked Orbán for assistance, looking instead to its own peace plan and punishment for Russia for its full-scale invasion which has now dragged on for nearly two and a half years.

“With all due respect to all countries, big and small, we have to say that not all leaders can negotiate. You need to have certain powers and strength for this,” Zelenskyy said while commenting on the Hungarian leader’s peace mission during a press conference Thursday.

Orbán, for his part, has echoed Russian narratives about the war, while pushing for other peace initiatives, like the Chinese plan which would freeze the conflict, and no financial aid to Ukraine.

READ ALSO  King Charles writes to Donald Trump after assassination attempt

Since Hungary took over the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union at the start of July, Orbán announced he is using the presidency to take steps toward peace in Russia’s war against Ukraine — despite the fact taht Budapest’s role affords him no special diplomatic status.

After meeting with Putin and Xi, Orbán proceeded to Washington where he convened with fellow NATO leaders at a summit marking the alliance’s 75th anniversary.

Trump, who leads incumbent President Joe Biden in polling in several critical swing states for November’s election, has also said several times that he would end the war quickly — even before he takes over the presidency.

Source: The Nation

Continue Reading

Top Stories